[AG-TECH] RAT KDE4 Issues

Piers O'Hanlon p.ohanlon at cs.ucl.ac.uk
Tue Sep 30 11:18:34 CDT 2008

Hi Todd,

Glad to her things have gotten better.

> It appears that my issues were stemming from my system not interacting
> well with a Logitech usb headset.  Once I removed the headset from the
> equation, my usb errors went away and life got better ;-)

Ah ok.

> I can't explain the lack of gui showing up - I am experienced with
> iptables so can confirm that all chains were flushed and set to accept
> when I was having the issue.  That is what made it confusing.

Oh ok - yes it did seem like a iptables issue - I wasn't sure if it
was some KDE specific firewall thing (I have admit I'm not a big KDE
user).

> My guess is that it was the gui process dying that was actually causing
> the 'failed to rendezvous' message.

Hmm ok - I'll look into that.

> I'm still having difficulty setting the default device (it won't hold) -
> but at least when I select the desired device it sticks and is working.

The issue with the default device maybe due to the fact that your
system may have set up ALSA dmix on the default device (by looking at
your error messages above) - which RAT doesn't work so well with (dmix
is tricky beast to set up correctly for bi-directional operation).

Thanks for getting back to me,

Piers.