[AG-TECH] Global Quality Assurance Program for the Access Grid

Jason Bell j.bell at cqu.edu.au
Mon Oct 13 23:40:48 CDT 2008

Dear Access Grid Colleagues

I would like to take this opportunity to promote the Global Quality
Assurance Program for the Access Grid.

For those who were not aware, a list of all of the Access Grids that
have been quality assured can be found at the Global Node listing
website (http://www.accessgrid.org/nodes).  Note, those Access Grid node
listings that have a red tick have been given quality assurance status.

As some of you may experience poor AG sessions from time to time, the
global quality assurance program has been developed to improve the
overall user experience of the Access Grid.

I am sure people have had at least one of the following experiences:

*           It took ages to finally get everything going;

*           The audio was terrible (and people walked out);

*           The whole session was a complete failure and a waste of
time.

Therefore, to help assist and improve the general Access Grid
experience, a Global QA program has been developed which encompasses a
number of benefits, these being:

*           A way to identify good quality nodes;

*           A process to provide feedback to nodes that require
improvement.

*           Promote confidence when connecting to a new access grid node
- if it has been Quality Assured, you know it should work and work well.

For a quality assured node example, http://www.accessgrid.org/node/480,
you can see the "ACCESS GRID CAPABILITIES" it has been given as part of
the quality assurance process.  These capabilities are dynamically added
to your node listing when your Access Grid node passes a QA test.  For
the AG node listed above, it has been QA tested and has the following AG
capabilities:

Access Grid Version 3 Capabilities

Shared Presentation

Shared Browser

VenueVNC-Client

VenueVNC-Server

Access Grid Version 2 Capabilities

Shared Presentation

Shared Browser

VenueVNC-Client

VenueVNC-Server

Additional Capabilities

VNC Viewer enabled

VNC Server enabled

Unfortunately to date, I "currently" do not have anyone in the United
States acting as a regional tester.  Therefore one of the purposes of
this email to ask whether there are people in the U.S, or anywhere else
that is interested, who would like to become a Regional QA Tester for
the Access Grid.

A current list of Regional testers can be found at
http://www.accessgrid.org/qatesters.  Prerequisites for being a regional
QA tester are:

*           Your node must be "Quality Assured" (this is generally done
by me);

*           You would need to undergo some basic training (about an
hour's worth); and

*           It would be preferable if you have been using Access Grids
on a regular basis for some time.

If you are interested, please don't hesitate to contact me!!!

For those who wish to obtain Quality Assured Status, it is recommended
that you:

*           Read http://www.accessgrid.org/node/493 to find out the test
requirements for the quality assurance process.

*           Read http://www.accessgrid.org/node/352 to obtain hints and
tips on getting your Access Grid Node up to the required high standard.

*           The website http://www.accessgrid.org/node/705 highlights
the marking sheets.  These are the same marking sheets that "we" as QA
testers will use.

*           Contact your local regional QA AG tester, as a list of QA
testers can be found at http://www.accessgrid.org/qatesters.

You may wish to run through the marking sheet and do a quick self test
of your own node.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Thanks for your time,

Jason.

Jason Bell, B.I.T. (Honours)

Research Systems Support Officer

Information Technology Division

CQ University Australia

Australian Research Collaboration Service

http://www.arcs.org.au/

E-mail : j.bell at cqu.edu.au

         jason.bell at arcs.org.au

Work   : +61 7 4930 9229

Mobile : 0409 630897

Postal : Building 19

         Central Queensland University

         Bruce Highway

         Rockhampton, Queensland, Australia, 4702

Patience is a virtue.

But if I wanted Patience,

I would have become a Doctor.