[AG-TECH] Echoing and choppy audio on Mac to Mac

Piers O'Hanlon p.ohanlon at cs.ucl.ac.uk
Tue Nov 25 03:19:56 CST 2008

Hi,

As mentioned the problem with RAT audio on OSX is known. Firstly it is
unfortunately an intermittent problem that not every mac user seems to
experience - though a significant number of people are seeing it. This
means it's more difficult to nail down the bug straight away - it's
not just a crash when someone does X.

Secondly given RAT/RAT are open source we try to encourage wider
participation in the development process - as there are not enough
resources to fix every problem. Subsequently when we get offers from
to do work it is good to give those parties a chance to do the work -
even if in some cases it means that the fix is a bit longer coming
than it might otherwise be.

On this specific issue we have had a few offers to fix it over that
last year or so but although work was done unfortunately they did not
ultimately result in a satisfactory fix. We do have another an offer
to fix it under way and are seeing how this comes along. If this
doesn't bear fruit we will fix it.

Basically what there are two approaches; Fix the existing driver - so
it doesn't drift over time and  so it can support higher sample rates
- unfortunately  the code is quite old and was written for OSX 10.1 -
and now doesn't compile using the latest Xcode on Leopard (though it
does run albeit with problems). The second option, which is more
preferable, but requires more resources, is to re-write the driver
using newer Apple's Core Audio API make sure its design fixes the
current problems. We are maintaining the current state on the driver
developments here:
https://frostie.cs.ucl.ac.uk/nets/mmedia/ticket/180

Cheers,

Piers.