[AG-TECH] Openfire xmpp

Christoph Willing c.willing at uq.edu.au
Sat May 10 22:51:36 CDT 2008

On 11/05/2008, at 10:10 AM, Lassi Ylikojola wrote:

> Hi !
>
> I'm trying to run my own jabber here using openfire. Does anyone have
> any experience on using openfire.

I believe most (all?) of the jabber servers working successfully as
servers for AG venues are running some version of jabberd14. Thats
not to say that others won't work.

> I gues I have to create multi user conference rooms  and point
> VenueServer.cfg to openfire installatrion.

You shouldn't manually create the conference rooms on the jabber
server - see below.

VenueServer.cfg's textHost and textPort fields are all that need to
be changed for the VenueServer itself.

> So fa i only get You have to be connected to a Venue error when
> trying chat.
>
> So like if I'm an ag client connecting to xmpp server muc room i gues
> i should know the name of the rooma and have a password right ?

The rooms are created dynamically. When the first participant enters
an AG venue, the corresponding jabber room is also created on the
jabber server. It disappears some time after the last participant
leaves the venue. Maybe your jabber server needs some configuration
setting to allow this to occur.

It would be an impossible mission to keep permanent jabber rooms on a
particular jabber server synchronised with all the venue servers in
the world that might specify that jabber server as its textHost.

chris

Christoph Willing                        +617 3365 8350
QCIF Access Grid Manager
University of Queensland