[AG-TECH] AG Seminar - Koji Koyamada "A stochastic approach for rendering irregular volumes" Thursday 3rd April

Martin Turner Martin.Turner at manchester.ac.uk
Wed Mar 26 04:14:07 CDT 2008

Generator Microsoft Word 11 (filtered medium) Apologies for Cross-posts
**** NB THURSDAY not a Friday this time ;-) ***

Koji Koyamada Visualization Laboratory, Kyoto University "A stochastic approach for rendering irregular volumes" Thursday 3rd April 2008, 2-3pm Room 1.10, Kilburn Building, University of Manchester www.manchester.siggraph.org

In this talk, we describe a stochastic approach for rendering irregular volume datasets. It is well known that the memory bandwidth consumed by visibility sorting becomes the limiting factor when carrying out volume rendering of large irregular volume datasets. Previous techniques without visibility sorting ignored absorption or emission effect in their optical models. To solve the problem, our technique represents a given irregular volume dataset as a set of opaque, emissive particles whose size is sufficiently small with respect to the pixel size. We applied our proposed technique to a volume composed of about 1G tetrahedral cells to confirm its effectiveness.

Access Grid Information
Anyone wishing to view a seminar via Access Grid should note the following:

Virtual venue: University of Manchester (1.10)
Jabber room: uom1.10 at conference.mcs.anl.gov
IGPix: roberts.agsc.man.ac.uk/igpix/uom110 (although more likely to use screenstreamer -  works well now)

For technical assistance regarding the Access Grid, please contact support at agsc.ja.net If possible; please let us know in advance if your site intends to join a seminar. Further Information http://www.rcs.manchester.ac.uk/research/seminars/

Martin J. Turner, Visualization Team Leader
Research Computing Services The University of Manchester Kilburn Building, Oxford Road Manchester, M13 9PL UK
t : +44 (0) 161 275 0613 m : +44 (0) 7990 918 509 e : martin.turner at manchester.ac.uk w : www.manchester.ac.uk/researchcomputing