[AG-TECH] Weird "vic" and AGVCR issue

Jason Bell j.bell at cqu.edu.au
Mon Mar 17 01:18:36 CDT 2008

G'day Colleagues

I'm not sure if this is an AGVCR or a "vic" issue, though I suspect it
is a vic issue.  Note this is for Windows XP.

I have a colleague who uses AGVCR to record sessions that happen to
include VPCScreen Capture streams (using the H261AS codec).  Now using
the "Windows Standalone Run-time" package for AGVCR, the current version
cannot see the H261AS stream.  Because this is using the older version
of the media tools (vic), this is understandable.

Therefore I thought it would be simple to replace the "vic.exe" file
with the same version that comes with AGTK 3.1.

You would think this would work, but unfortunately it doesn't.  Upon
closer investigation, the issue is that it does work, but not when
transmitting to "localhost" 127.0.0.1 as nothing can be seen in vic.  If
you change to a multicast address, everything works fine.

Therefore, the question I would like to ask is, why does the older
version of vic work when transmitting to "localhost" and not the newer
version.  Being able to transmitting to localhost is what the "Windows
Standalone Run-time" AGVCR package is designed for?

Thanks for your time,
Jason.

Jason Bell, B.I.T. (Honours)

Research Systems Support Officer
Information Technology Division
Central Queensland University

E-mail : j.bell at cqu.edu.au
Work   : +61 7 4930 9229
Mobile : 0409 630897
Postal : Building 19
         Central Queensland University
         Bruce Highway
         Rockhampton, Queensland, Australia, 4702
Patience is a virtue.

But if I wanted Patience,
I would have become a Doctor.