[AG-TECH] Any more H.264 news?

Douglas Kosovic douglask at itee.uq.edu.au
Sun Mar 2 22:36:37 CST 2008

Thomas D. Uram wrote:
> A beta version of the h264/mpeg4 services can be gotten from here:
>
>     http://www.accessgrid.org/project/Sumover
>
> Note that it is currently only for Windows.  I'll work to get the Mac
> version up.  I expect that Doug/Chris will provide Linux support very
> soon.

For Fedora 8 (i386 & x86-64), issue the following:
  yum update AccessGrid

which will install the mpeg4/h264 services and a new version of vic.

Known issues: thumbnails for H.264 and MPEG-4 appear black, but video
windows are fine. This is because the software scaler that comes with
FFMpeg has been disabled to avoid a crash in some MMX2 assembly code and
the old vic scalar doesn't support the required colorspace. I might have
a newer version of vic released later in the week if I'm able to resolve
the issue.

> Also note that if you are using these services to send mpeg4/h264,
> anyone who does not have the mpeg4/h264 consumer service installed
will
> not be able to see your video.
>
> Please report problems liberally so we can improve this support.
>
> Tom

Doug