[AG-TECH] AG on the iPhone, anyone?

Christoph Willing c.willing at uq.edu.au
Tue Jun 10 18:16:16 CDT 2008

On 11/06/2008, at 7:01 AM, Brad Knowles wrote:

> Douglas Kosovic wrote:
>
>> I don't think the existing MacOS X AG port will be of much use at
>> the moment on an iPhone port. If I'm not mistaken, the iPhone only
>> supports Cocoa and not the legacy MacOS/MacOS X Carbon API, so
>> wxPython (used by the AGTk GUI) and Tcl/Tk (used by vic & rat)
>> would first need to be ported to Cocoa.
>
> Ouch.  Yes -- I was assuming that the development tools and
> toolkits were already Cocoa-native, and that relatively little
> additional work needed to be done to update them to work with the
> modified APIs for the Cocoa Touch iPhone user interface.

Further to other email about alternate VenueClient interfaces, the
(_non_ wxPython) example demonstrated at the Retreat is available at:
	http://www.accessgrid.org/node/1142
(just over 400 lines of code if I recall correctly i.e. not a
lifetime's work!)

The point is not that a new GUI need be immersive as that example
mentions, rather that the AG code itself is independent of the GUI
toolkit i.e wxPython isn't needed if designing a new GUI - some other
Cocoa supported drawing toolkit could be used.

This doesn't help with vic & rat though...

chris

Christoph Willing                        +617 3365 8350
QCIF Access Grid Manager
University of Queensland