[AG-TECH] AG VenueClient/bajjer is an "Outsider" to Jabber/MU-Conference

Christoph Willing c.willing at uq.edu.au
Wed Jul 23 07:34:55 CDT 2008

On 23/07/2008, at 4:11 PM, Dinale, Justin wrote:

[snip]
> If we're stuck with bajjer could someone please post the exact
> versions of linux distro (e.g. "Slackware 10.2" not just
> "Slackware"), jabberd14 and mu-conference they have on their
> functional server?

Justin,

The APAG vv3 server runs its own jabber server. The installed jabber
server package is locally rolled, combining  jabber14-1.6.1.1 and mu-
conference_0.7. The current OS on the server is Slackware 12.1 but
prior to being run on the same machine as the venue server, the
jabber server was running on a different machine with Slackware-12.0.
It was also tested quite a bit on a Slackware 11.0 machine too. I'd
recommend 12.1 though; the package is available at:
     http://www.vislab.uq.edu.au/slackware/12.1/jabberd14-1.6.1.1-
i686-2.tgz
although if you build an AG box using Slackware 12.1 according to
installation instructions at:
     http://www.vislab.uq.edu.au/research/accessgrid/software/slackware/
then you can just run:
     sudo slapt-get --install jabberd14
or use gslapt to search for and install the jabberd14 package. Then
there's some local configuration to do.

Email me privately if you'd prefer a package build script rather than
the binary.

I've heard of this software combination (jabberd14 and mu-conference)
also being used in AG setups with fedora and debian platforms i.e.
the crucial factor is not the OS. The configuration was the hard
part. I don't have a nice write up on the configuration but could
track down some previous emails which explain it.

chris

Christoph Willing                        +617 3365 8350
QCIF Access Grid Manager
University of Queensland