[AG-TECH] portable AG Node

Ben Green ben.green at manchester.ac.uk
Tue Dec 9 11:58:47 CST 2008

Hi Sia,

I recently built a portable node, i.e. a small format PC, that can be put in a box with cameras, mics and speakers and carried around for offsite demos. It could also fit onto a trolley to be moved around a building.

I've attached a list of all the items I purchased, along with links to the suppliers (all UK of course).

I'm very happy with the performance of this machine, it's really just 'ticking over' when running 4 VGA res cameras plus an HD webcam.

I've also attached a photo of the back of the PC. There were just 3 cameras connected at the time. One downside of Shuttles is lack of RS232 port (Serial) so software camera control may not be possible, although this isn't a feature of Toolkit (We run IOCOM IG Meeting on this demo machine). I tried a USB-Serial convertor but couldn't get this working for camera control.

Hope it helps,

Ben.

Ben Green

Access Grid Support Centre
Research Computing Services
University of Manchester
Room 73A, Devonshire House, Precinct Centre,
Oxford Road, Manchester, M13 9PL
tel: +44 (0)161 306 6621
fax: +44 (0)161 275 6120
email - ben.green at manchester.ac.uk