[AG-TECH] startup scripts AG3.1 for Fedora 8

Christoph Willing c.willing at uq.edu.au
Mon Aug 25 20:22:16 CDT 2008

On 26/08/2008, at 8:55 AM, Dinale, Justin wrote:

> Chris,
> Looking throught the agbs.conf and agregistry.conf I noticed
> AGREGISTRY_LOCKFILE and AGBRIDDGE_LOCKFILE both point to
> /var/lock/agregistry.
> Was this just a typo or is there a specific purpose to it?

Justin,

Thanks for pointing that out - it was a typo (cut & paste fatigue).
The corrected versions are attached below.

> To get the Bridge Server running, it has to start after the registry
> peer, is this addressed in the init files?

I haven't run a registry peer and a bridge on the same machine so
hadn't noticed that. I believe it can be addressed as follows.

In Red Hat, Fedora etc., systems, the boot scripts are run in
alphabetical order, so "agbs" would normally run before "agregistry".
To regulate this more precisely, the chkconfig command adds numbers
to the beginning of the script names when it installs them e.g. a
bare "agbs" is converted to S85agbs. The added numbering is specified
in the script itself and both agbs & agregistry _were_ set to the
same by the line
	# chkconfig: - 85 15
so the added numbering had no effect on the startup ordering.

I've changed those lines in the agbs & agregistry scripts so that
agregistry will become S86agregistry and will therefore start after
the bridge server (which remains at S85agbs). I also changed the
venue server so that it will become S84agvs after chkconfig.

To summarise the installation:
	put the *.conf files into /etc/default/
	put the bare scripts into /etc/init.d/
	run 'chkconfig --add' for each service to be enabled
	run 'chkconfig <servicename> on' for each service to be enabled e.g.
'chkconfig agbs on'

Of course, you can edit the scripts so that chkconfig will assign
different prefixes (and therefore startup ordering) to the script names.

Please anyone, feel free to correct anything here - I'm not a Red
Hat, Fedora etc. person, so my understanding may be somewhat simplistic.

chris