[AG-TECH] HD audio & USB audio on Linux?

Piers O'Hanlon p.ohanlon at cs.ucl.ac.uk
Thu Apr 17 02:32:06 CDT 2008

Hi Andrew,

When you say talk doesn't work - what symptoms are you seeing? Is it
that you're not seeing any VU activity/sound when you talk/tap the
mic? Does the mic work with other apps (e.g Ekiga/Skype). Is it being
selected as ALSA or OSS in the Options..->audio settings panel? What
name does it come up as?

If RAT is recognising the card it is finding suitable inputs and
outputs - however some of these cards have a complex array of inputs,
outputs, and settings which can interfere with getting sound into and
out of RAT (and other apps). As Doug suggested - I would recommend
that you try playing with the ALSA mixer - console app 'alsamixer'
(use TAB to switch between playback/capture settings) - and/or the
gnome/kDE mixer and see if any of the settings on the card make a
difference. Also check that the mic input is being selected for
capture (although on some cards there is not an option to select
capture status - instead it just controlled by the mic's 'capture'
input slider).

Piers