[AG-TECH] HD audio & USB audio on Linux?

Douglas Kosovic douglask at itee.uq.edu.au
Wed Apr 16 17:28:18 CDT 2008

Hi Andrew,

> I can't get RAT to work with the integrated HD audio chipset in some of
> our machines - listen works but talk doesn't. I was pretty much
> expecting this running on Linux (Ubuntu 7.10), partially since it's a
> known problem on Windows. I'm wondering if anyone has actually gotten
> these chipsets to work on any platform (is there any progress from
> SUMOVER as far as supporting them?), and if not, what USB audio
> interfaces work well with RAT on linux? I've been looking at the Edirol
> UA-25 or 5, which are confirmed to work with the usb-audio module but I
> don't know whether RAT supports something like that. Anyone have any
> recommendations?

The RealTek HD audio was the only Intel HD codec/chips that had issues
with WinXP because the Intel HD driver appeared as separate input and
output devices. I have since modified the VIC code to add Realtek HD
support and the RAT that ships with AG 3.1 includes it.

There must be at least a 100 different chips supported by the ALSA Intel
HD drivers. With some of the chips, you need to be running the later
ALSA driver and occasionaly there are bugs. Does the ALSA audio input on
your PC work with any application? Try 'alasmixer -V all' and ensure
you've enabled/selected the correct input.

As with Intel's AC'97, enable force AC'97 in the AG Audio Service. Also
try switching between OSS and Alsa in RAT.

Doug