[AG-TECH] Center for Computational Sciences Wednesday seminar

Pandanaboyana, Sandeep sandeeppandanaboyana at uky.edu
Wed Sep 26 12:01:27 CDT 2007

Hello all,

We would like to invite all sites to participate in the Center for Computational Sciences Wednesday seminar series. Here are the details for today's seminar:

Title: "The Early and Late Evolution of Gamma Ray Bursts within the Context of the Collapsar Model"

Abstract:   We review results from our theoretical studies of the collapsar model for long duration GRBs. This model was recognized as the most promising scenario for GRBs prior to the launch of the Swift satellite. Observations obtained with Switf have improved our understanding of GRBs and also challenged our models including the collapsar model. In particular, X-ray flares discovered in a number of GRBs indicate that the GRB central engine may need to be active for much longer than it was thought before. Using simple theoretical arguments as well as results from detailed fluid simulations, we will argue that the collapsar model is still the leading scenario for long GRBs, although certain important questions remain open. For example, the rapid growth of the central black hole during the early hyper-accretion phase implies that the total energy and overall duration of a GRB event can be too small unless the progenitor rotates relatively fast.

Speaker: Daniel Proga, University of Las Vegas

Venue: Verlet

Time: 3:30 Eastern
Date: Sep 26, 2007

All sites are invited to participate in this seminar. Sites can join us by 2:30 Eastern for Audio-Video check.

Thanks,
Sandeep Pandanaboyana
Center for Computational Sciences,
University of Kentucky