[AG-TECH] Vic Source issue - Multiple Producers (Again)

Douglas Kosovic douglask at itee.uq.edu.au
Mon Oct 29 20:40:04 CDT 2007

Hi Todd,

> This problem still exists on Fedora for me (AG3.1b2).  It exists on
> multiple computers; however....
> Am I the only person experiencing this?
>
> Symptoms are:
>
> Multiple video producers on Fedora and/or Redhat.
> When I join a room, the proper device and port are selected; however on
> some of the producers (not consistent... sometimes one, sometimes two
> etc) it is just blue output.
> When I hit 'Menu' and reselect the port (not even deselect - just
> reselct) the camera source properly shows up.

Install the vic-debug-enabled RPM from:
  http://www.vislab.uq.edu.au/accessgrid3/fedora/development/RPMS/

e.g:
  rpm -e --nodeps vic
  rpm -ivh vic-debug-enabled-2.8ucl1.3.1-0.1.20071017svn.fc7.i386.rpm

it should hopefully output debugging info on what is going wrong.

> Further, on many of these capture cards (bttv based Impact VCB) I have
> to select the Television input when in fact I'm using one of the
> Composite inputs....

The Impact VCB isn't listed in bttv-cards.c source file of the bttv driver, the known cards have their input port details and other stuff recorded in that file (like the GPIO bus wiring), if the card isn't known the bttv driver fallbacks to a generic bt878 card (which might only partly work). You might be able to configure /etc/modprobe.conf to tell the bttv driver what is what by using module arguments or submit a bug report to the bttv driver maintainer to have your card's details added.

The Windows application btspy (in combination with the original Windows driver for the card) is often used to get the specific details of the Bt878 based card.

Cheers,
Doug