[AG-TECH] Not finding Firewire DV on UQ advanced vic

Andrew Ford acf0659 at rit.edu
Tue May 29 11:13:19 CDT 2007

On 5/27/07, Christoph Willing <willing at vislab.uq.edu.au> wrote:

> On 26/05/2007, at 7:57 AM, Andrew Ford wrote:
>
> > Thanks Chris, sending DV seems to work fine now. The problem now is
> > that when I try and receive it (on another machine) the receiving
> > vic hard freezes (there's the listing for the video with a black
> > thumbnail, and the window is completely frozen - I have to kill the
> > process to stop it). I'll attempt to leave the stream sending (to
> > RIT's AG multicast video address, 224.2.224.225/20002) over the
> > weekend, so if anyone could try receiving it, that would be awesome.
>
> Andrew,
>
> I don't see any multicast traffic on that address - maybe you've
> stopped sending, or perhaps a highter ttl is needed?
>

> chris

Hmm, it seemed to be sending fine when I got in today implying that it was
running over the (long) weekend. I restarted it with a higher TTL, and I'll
try and keep it running as much as I can (I can guarantee 10am EDT - 6pm
EDT, sorry that that's an awful time for you guys in Australia, heh). Is
there any other good way to check multicast traffic on an address?

On 5/27/07, leon zadorin <leonleon77 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 5/26/07, Andrew Ford <acf0659 at rit.edu> wrote:
> > Thanks Chris, sending DV seems to work fine now. The problem now is that
> > when I try and receive it (on another machine) the receiving vic hard
> > freezes (there's the listing for the video with a black thumbnail, and
> the
> > window is completely frozen - I have to kill the process to stop it).
> I'll
> > attempt to leave the stream sending (to RIT's AG multicast video
> address,
> > 224.2.224.225/20002) over the weekend, so if anyone could try receiving
> it,
> > that would be awesome.
>
> Hello Andrew,
>
> Firstly - thanks for spending some time with our software - I
> certainly appreciate it :-)

No problem :) integrating DV & HDV into vic is a huge advantage for us.

Secondly, I was wondering if the following commands could be executed
> on the machine which is having troubles receiving DV stream:
>
> a) quit the receiving vic
>
> b) run the following commands:
>
> cat /var/log/dmesg > leonlog1
> dmesg >> leonlog1
> cat /proc/cpuinfo >> leonlog1
> cat /proc/meminfo >> leonlog1
> /sbin/sysctl net.core.rmem_max >> leonlog1
> grep -i driver /etc/X11/xorg.conf >> leonlog1
> xvinfo >> leonlog1
> glxinfo >> leonlog1
> ./vic YOUR-IP/PORT >> leonlog1 2>&1
>
> then (without killing vic) open another terminal and run:
> top -b -n 5 > leonlog2
>
> After top has exited (will take ~15 seconds), just email me all of the
> "leonlog1/2" files... this, I hope, will give me more info about your
> receiving machine's setup... (I presume you are able to see the DV
> stream from the transmitting vic [on the transmitting machine] ?)

Logs are attached. Also, yeah, I can see the DV stream in the sending vic
window, but if I run 2 copies on the same machine (pointing at the same
address), both sending streams (I tried X11 on one and DV on the other),
neither can see the other's stream. Not sure if that's normal or not.

Also, which revision of vic are you running?
> To find out, cd to the sources (e.g. cd ag-media) and then run
> svnversion
> it will tell you the revision number(s) information of your local source
> tree...

Both the sender and receiver are 91M; they're from checkouts I did on
Thursday/Friday.

--Andrew