[AG-TECH] Intel HD audio

Douglas Kosovic douglask at itee.uq.edu.au
Mon Mar 26 20:07:20 CDT 2007

Hi Jeremy,

> Anybody having trouble with the Intel HD integrated audio system using
> Linux? I have one machine I'm desperately trying to get to work and its
> RAT doesn't recognize the card. I've recompiled rat from CVS and also
> upgraded ALSA to 1.0.13. When I start RAT and set the device to ALSA: 0
> Intel HD I get:
>
> to open device for playback
> to open device for capture
> Failed to set mixer levels
>
> Since this is a common onboard audio system now, I'm hoping somebody else
> has fixed this issue.

Do you have any sound?  The default ALSA config often won't detect the
correct intel HD audio model, which is often the case why sound doesn't
work, see the docs that come with the ALSA source code for the appropriate
snd-hda-intel kernel module argument.

Try using the ALSA OSS compatibility layer, by selecting OSS in the rat
audio configuration dialog box. On a Dell Optiplex 745, the onboard Intel HD
audio seems to work with OSS compatibility.

Doug