[AG-TECH]Fun with Venue Servers and NATS

Michael Miller mimiller at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Mon Mar 12 10:46:03 CDT 2007

John,

If you look at the NATted site's Producer vic, do
you see their video there?  You will need to
unmute it.  What you describe occurs because only
on app can receive data from a port at a
time.  Since you have a single connection with
the bridge, in order to get past the NAT, the
first vic launched(in this case the producer)
steals the data from the second vic.  Often you
may see "waiting for video" in the consumer
vic.  This only occurs in single machine nodes or
any node that runs the producer and consumer vics on the same machine.

The solution is to look for the missing video
streams in the Producer vic, unmute them and open them from there.

Let me know if you have questions.

myk

At 10:03 AM 3/12/2007, john langkals wrote:
>Hello AG Tech,
>
>There have been a few emails discussing NATS and
>Access Grid connectivity on the list lately.  I
>am trying to setup and Access Grid at another
>site.  Trying to go through their NAT on my end
>is no problem. I see all external and local site
>video just fine.   The only issue is the NATted
>site will get most external video streams that
>are connected but they do not see their local
>video.  Also as they restart their video, more
>remote site video streams appear.  Just no local
>video. This is no surprise as NATed routers do
>not have true end to end connectivity and it may
>break some IP protocols such as UDP. I am
>testing in the NCSA Lobby (venue server) and as
>this site does not support off site multicast,
>they are bridging unicast.  I have tested this in AG 2.4/3.0.2.
>
>My question is
if I would setup my own venue
>server, would I be able to pull off any tricks
>for both sides to transmit and received video
>just between our two sites? Hoping only just
>connecting between two sites would help out some
>how
 Is there any way to build a stripped down