[AG-TECH] Sony EVI-HD1 camera

Christoph Willing willing at vislab.uq.edu.au
Thu Mar 8 22:23:08 CST 2007

On 09/03/2007, at 3:49 AM, John I Quebedeaux Jr wrote:

> Someone asked me about this camera for HD use on the AG: http://
> www.picturephone.com/products/sony_evi_hd1.htm
>
> Anyone have any experience with it? I'm wondering if it was used,
> how to best "capture" it into a system for use on the AG...
> interest in using HD is high here. I'm more concerned about
> logistical issues with high resolution images on displays that
> don't have that much "resolution" space - particularly if several
> sites are involved.

John,

With regard to screen space logistics, we've developed a version of
vic that does DV and HDV - full details and perhaps a demo at the
forthcoming AG Retreat. One of the changes is the ability to resize
the video window(s) to any size you like. Thus you could accomodate
several streams at smaller than true HD size when display space
becomes tight.

BTW, I think that when DV, HDV, HD are all more common in the AG,
best practice will be to always send those formats as duplicates of
standard H261 streams so that other sites can choose to view their
own preferred mix of H261 and higher resolution formats (somewhat
avoiding the screen real estate problem you raised, not to mention
bandwidth issues). The cameras we've been testing with have a number
of simultaneous outputs available so its trivial to send both DV/HDV
and H261 at the same time.

chris

Christoph Willing                       +61 7 3365 8350
QCIF Access Grid Manager
University of Queensland