[AG-TECH] Starting VIC without a GUI

Piers O'Hanlon p.ohanlon at cs.ucl.ac.uk
Thu Mar 1 18:35:19 CST 2007

Hi Sam,

On 01/03/07, Sam Gundry <sgundry at vpac.org> wrote:

> Arh, okay. Thanks guys, I've had a look through numerous docs but
> couldn't find anything. I thought I'd read somewhere that there was such
> a command...

Unfortunately, as mentioned, it isn't currently possible to run vic without
an interface as the tcl GUI is integral to the tool. One solution, if you
for example you have a headless UNIX machine, would be to point the DISPLAY
at a vncserver (a virtual X11 server) - that way you don't have the GUI
showing up anywhere and vic just runs - though you'd need to set it up to
transmit on startup. You could remotely access the GUI using a vnclient.

Piers
UCL

Cheers,