[AG-TECH] VenueClient and vic weirdness

Christoph Willing willing at vislab.uq.edu.au
Tue Jun 5 22:47:57 CDT 2007

On 06/06/2007, at 1:16 PM, Dana Koch wrote:

> Hi,
>    I believe so (are you talking about versioning or something
> different?) -- this was the first time I installed AG on this
> computer.
> vic -v reports VIC 2.8ucl-1.1.3-AG. And yes, once I use vic to connect
> to one bridge, it seems to work for everything.

Dana,

If you've just installed the AG toolkit and made no configuration
changes, then the vic that runs is in receive only mode (using AG's
VideoConsumerService). That means it hasn't transmitted anything to
open up the firewall (as it did when you transmitted from the command
line instance). If you reconfigure your VenueClient to run a
VideoService rather than a VideoConsumerService, then packets will be
transmitted (thereby opening the firewall and allowing incoming video
streams).

chris

> Andrew Rowley wrote:
>> Hi,
>> Are you sure that the vic you are running is the same in both
>> cases? Once you have run vic on the command line, does it then
>> work when you
>>  change venues in the client?
>> I think there was a change in later versions of vic that sent out
>> packets when it started in order to open your firewall.  If you
>> are running this later version from the command line, this could
>> be opening your firewall and thus allowing the traffic in.  In
>> this case, check your firewall is allowing incoming traffic on the
>> appropriate ports and it should then work within AGTk without needing
>>  to run it on the command line first.
>> Andrew :)
>> ============================================ Access Grid Support
>> Centre, RSS Group, Manchester Computing, Kilburn Building, University
>>  of Manchester, Oxford Road, Manchester, M13 9PL, UK Tel: +44(0)
>> 161-275 0685 Email: Andrew.Rowley at manchester.ac.uk
>> -----Original Message----- From: owner-ag-tech at mcs.anl.gov
>> [mailto:owner-ag-tech at mcs.anl.gov] On Behalf Of Dana Koch Sent: 05
>> June 2007 03:01 To: ag-tech at mcs.anl.gov Subject: [AG-TECH]
>> VenueClient and vic weirdness
>> Hi, I've been experiencing some weirdness getting the VenueClient to
>>  work smoothly on FC5 (Linux). Starting the VenueClient only I get
>> "Waiting for video" from vic either on multicast or unicast. However,
>>  if before I start the VenueClient I open vic from the command
>> line with the bridge address and port on unicast, start to
>> transmit (with x11, say), I can see all the various video streams.
>> And on restarting
>>  the VenueClient, everything works as it should!
>> I haven't tested rat yet.
>> This seems very strange. Is this a bug, or is this some network
>> configuration problem?
>> Thanks Dana Koch
>> SIRCA PO Box H58, Australia Square, Sydney NSW 1215 Level 2, 9
>> Castlereagh St, Sydney NSW 2000 Tel: +61 2 9236 9113 Fax: +61 2
>> 9231 5988 Web: www.sirca.org.au

Christoph Willing                       +61 7 3365 8350
QCIF Access Grid Manager
University of Queensland