[AG-TECH] "500 Terabytes and Growing" - A Live "Open Invitation" Access Grid Event from the University of Notre Dame

Christoph Willing willing at vislab.uq.edu.au
Tue Jul 24 18:32:48 CDT 2007

On 25/07/2007, at 2:59 AM, Jeffrey Miller wrote:

> The University of Notre Dame will be hosting Dr. John Bent, of the
> Los Alamos National Lab, giving a lecture in one of our classrooms
> entitled
>
> "500 Terabytes and Growing"  this will be a live open invitation
> event.   It will be held on July 26th at 11AM EDT in Axon room on
> the NCSA server.
>

> U can send Questions during the Q& A event at the end  to
> dthain at nd.edu

This looks like a really interesting (and topical) lecture,
unfortunately not great for our time zone (Asia Pacific: 11am EDT =
1am Aust. EST).

Is anyone planning to record this session and able to make it
available for replay at a reasonable time?

Alternatively, could we have permission to record the session with
AGVCR?

chris

>  Here is a description of the lecture
>

> The storage group at Los Alamos National Lab is responsible for
> designing, deploying, and debugging the storage systems attached to
> our supercomputers.  In this talk, we present some of the storage
> challenges that become apparent at large scales when thousands of
> processes simultaneously access a single terabyte-sized file.  The
> talk will be introduced with a general discussion of supercomputing
> workloads and systems at the national labs and will include a more
> detailed description of the recent work done in bringing up the
> half-petabyte storage system attached to our new supercomputer,
> Roadrunner.  We'll conclude with a discussion of current research
> topics in this area as well as our recent research into multi-
> dimensional file systems.
>

> Please contact me if you have any questions.
>

> Thank you
>

> Jeffrey L. Miller
> Videoconferencing Resources
> Office of Information Technologies
> University of Notre Dame
> G016 ITC Building
> Notre Dame, IN 46556
> Office: 574-631-6850
> Cell :574-261-1895
> Polycom HDX : 129.74.58.27
> Polycom PVX office: 129.74.58.127
> jmille22 at nd.edu
> "It's a privilege to work at Notre Dame."

Christoph Willing                       +61 7 3365 8350
QCIF Access Grid Manager
University of Queensland