[AG-TECH] Venue server equipment

Todd Zimmerman toddz at sfu.ca
Fri Jul 20 15:33:28 CDT 2007

Jeremy Mann wrote:
> I think the question is, "why not?"

heh... you stole my line ;-)

Actually, what happened is we were having issues with an old backup server that disrupted a couple
of meetings - so we were looking for a replacement.  This server was offered to us for a price we
couldn't ignore...

In reality, though, normally we would've ended up getting a dual processor / dual core box with
slightly less options - a standard poweredge. ($2Kish)

Basically this will be a general purpose server with duties ranging from bridging/venueserving to
streaming, jabber server - whatever we are up to at the moment.  The most use it will probably ever
get is when we start using it to bridge DV/HD streams.  Ultimately, we will probably never come near
using all of the resources.

Cheers,

Todd