[AG-TECH] Listing Venue Server addresses

Christoph Willing willing at vislab.uq.edu.au
Fri Feb 16 14:39:35 CST 2007

On 17/02/2007, at 5:51 AM, Derek Piper wrote:

> 	This is good stuff to talk about.
> 	If you only have 2 addresses though, wouldn't it be better to
> divide the 2 IPs between venues and keep the same IP within a venue
> since, like you said, all traffic goes to clients regardless of port?
>
> i.e.
> Scenario 1:
>
> Venue 1
> 	Audio: 233.100.100.1 / 20000
> 	Video: 233.100.100.1 / 20002
>
> Venue 2
> 	Audio: 233.100.100.2 / 30000
> 	Video: 233.100.100.2 / 30002
>
> Venue 3
> 	Audio: 233.100.100.1 / 40000
> 	Video: 233.100.100.1 / 40002
>
> Venue 4
> 	Audio: 233.100.100.2 / 50000
> 	Video: 233.100.100.2 / 50002
>
> is better than
> (Scenario 2)
>
> Venue 1
> 	Audio: 233.100.100.1 / 20000
> 	Video: 233.100.100.2 / 20002
>
> Venue 2
> 	Audio: 233.100.100.1 / 30000
> 	Video: 233.100.100.2 / 30002
>
> Venue 3
> 	Audio: 233.100.100.1 / 40000
> 	Video: 233.100.100.2 / 40002
>
> Venue 4
> 	Audio: 233.100.100.1 / 50000
> 	Video: 233.100.100.2 / 50002
>
> since clients connected to Venue 1 would ALSO receive data from all
> the other venues, even if it was filtered by port?
>
> 	So, if you have limited addresses then dividing them wholely
> between venues (i.e. NOT doing what you mentioned, Chris) would be
> the smarter configuration because if you have 2 meetings running
> simultaneously then you can support 2 separations, i.e. Venue 1 &
> 3, and Venue 2 & 4 with Scenario 1. With Scenario 2 because we
> spread our addresses over ALL the venues trying to have a different
> IP for audio and video if we have 2 meetings at once we're always
> going to be sending data to ALL participants over both meetings and
> using more bandwidth.
> 	Of course, if you have the addresses then it's smarter not to have
> any overlap, I agree. But, for static addressing when there may not
> be many addresses available then it is probably wiser to organize
> things so that simultaneous meetings are separated, not necessarily
> audio/video sources.

Derek,

Thats quite correct, I am separating audio & video in the context
"unlimited" address space availability.

Another problem with having so few addresses available is how AG3's
built in multicast beacon will work; its address is normally assigned
dynamically. Even if you can set it explicitly, I'm not sure what
sort of results it will produce when multiple beacons (for different
venues) are using the same address.

That beacon address problem would apply to all services with
dynamically assigned streams.

chris