[AG-TECH] Listing Venue Server addresses

Christoph Willing willing at vislab.uq.edu.au
Fri Feb 16 00:16:41 CST 2007

On 16/02/2007, at 3:16 AM, Derek Piper wrote:

[snip]
> 	While talking about the venue management tool it would be nice to
> be able to restrict it to a single IP address for multicast (and
> just let it dynamically assign ports). As it is, the mask only
> allows for 0-31, where I need '32' in order to lock it down as
> such. I was given two addresses but they do not fit within one /31
> CIDR range (of course :>).

Derek,

There may be problems for clients when using that strategy (using a
single IP, but different ports for different venues) for bandwidth
challenged clients. Even when they're only connected to a single
venue, the traffic from all the other venues sharing the same IP
address would flow to the client as well. A client can filter based
on port number, but all other (unwanted) traffic on the same IP
address has also arrived regardless of using a different port (only
to be filtered out anyway). Using different multicast IP addresses
means that only the requested streams flow to the client. In fact, we
now configure our server to use different IP addresses for audio &
video in the same venue.

chris

Christoph Willing                       +61 7 3365 8350
QCIF Access Grid Manager
University of Queensland