[AG-TECH] Combining 2.4 and 3.0 venue servers

Jeremy Mann jeremymann at gmail.com
Tue Feb 6 09:43:09 CST 2007

On 2/6/07, Andrew A Rowley <Andrew.Rowley at manchester.ac.uk> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The reason that you cannot have two bridge servers on the same machine is that QuickBridge disables the return of multicast packets to the sending machine (known as multicast loopback), so packets sent by one bridge cannot be received by the other.  If you need to do this, you would need to modify quickbridge.  This could cause a looping of packets (it shouldn't do, but I could not have thought of something).

Andrew, how would the unicast bridge be affected by this when bridging
a 3.x client with a 2.4 server? Say we have 2 Ag servers, 1 2.4 the
other 3.0.2 broadcasting to the same multicast addresses, but they
each run their own unicast bridge server. Now if  3.x client connects
to one of the "shared" venues, how would the bridge function and place
them in the correct space so everybody else in the room will see them?

--
Jeremy Mann
jeremy at biochem.uthscsa.edu

Bioinformatics Core Facility