[AG-TECH] Combining 2.4 and 3.0 venue servers

Andrew A Rowley Andrew.Rowley at manchester.ac.uk
Tue Feb 6 03:03:04 CST 2007

Hi,

Multicast addresses are fairly sparse, but there are a few ways to go about getting them.

Primarily, people tend to use their GLOP space - this is space that you automatically get assigned when you have been assigned an AS (Autonomous System) number.  If your institution or service provider has one of these, you will have 256 multicast addresses that you can use.  I would guess that you would speak to your local internet service provider to see if they have AS numbers and ask if you can use the GLOP space.

Failing that, you can apply to IANA for a range of multicast addresses.  You will need to make a case for your request however.

Andrew :)

Access Grid Support Centre,
RSS Group,
Manchester Computing,