[AG-TECH] Capture cards and PCI-X

Douglas Kosovic douglask at itee.uq.edu.au
Wed Aug 1 16:44:55 CDT 2007

Hi David,

Just a few corrections, rather than suggestions.

> I've requested money for additional capture cards, as my existing ones
> are +5 years old anyway.
>
> I thought the winnov Quattro looked good, but I am having a hard time
> getting one here in Canada.
>
> The new computers, slightly used hand-me-down Dell GX620's, have two PCI
> and one PCI-X slot.  Beggars can't be choosers...

The Dell Optiplex GX620 doesn't have a PCI-X slot but a PCIe x 16 (and a
PCIe x 1 slot in the mini-tower configuration).

Do you have a mini-tower or desktop Dell GX620? The desktop requires
low-profile PCI/PCIe cards with low-profile brackets, unless you have an
optional riser card which allows full height cards.

> I see that the Viewcast Osprey 240, a PCI-X four port capture device is
> available and in stock with one supplier.

The Viewcast Osprey 240 seems to be a PCIe x 1 card with a single input
(it's compatible with x1, x4, x8, and x16 PCIe slots).

The Viewcast Osprey 440 seems to be a PCI-X card with 4 inputs, so isn't
suitable with the Dell GX620.

Cheers,
Doug