[AG-TECH] AG3.0.2 Beacon service and unicast

Thomas D. Uram turam at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Sep 28 10:42:48 CDT 2006

On 9/28/06 6:50 AM, Michael Braitmaier wrote:
> I recently tested AG3.0.2 with our unicast bridge and found out that
> the VenueClient seems to hang when I switch to our unicast bridge.
> Of course I assumed this might be related to our bridge server, but it
> showed the same behaviour with the Argonne Bridge.
> The quick bridge output of our bridge in the console however was fine,
> just the VenueClient didn't stop hanging.
> So I deactivated the "Run Beacon" option in the preferences and
> everything is ok and works fine.
Are you running the venue client on windows?  Does it hang every time?
Is there any indication of a problem in the logfile when it hangs?  Have
you confirmed that the related bridge is indeed running?

> It seems to me that there is something wrong with the integrated mc
> beacon when using unicast. Of course
> it makes no sence having a beacon on unicast, but as it is enabled be
> default it should at least don't cause
> problems when switching to unicast use.
Actually, when using unicast, the beacon client still runs so that it
can show you your connectivity to other participants _through the
bridge_.  This way, you know whether there are upstream multicast problems.

> But possibly I am the only one having such problems?

I had seen this problem with some earlier versions of the toolkit.  If
others have seen it, they should speak up so we know how prevalent the
problem is.

Tom