[AG-TECH] Access Grid Seminar

Lee Margetts Lee.Margetts at manchester.ac.uk
Wed Oct 18 14:15:24 CDT 2006

***Apologies for Cross-Posting***

Title: "Image-based Material Editing"

Erik Reinhard, Department of Computer Science, University of Bristol

Friday, 20th October 2006, 1400-1500 (UTC+1)
Room 1.10, Kilburn Building

Photo editing software allows digital images to be blurred, warped or re-colored
at the touch of a button. However, it is not currently possible to change the
material appearance of an object except by painstakingly painting over the
appropriate pixels. Here we present a method for automatically replacing one
material with another, completely different material, starting with only a
single high dynamic range image as input. Our approach exploits the fact that
human vision is surprisingly tolerant of certain (sometimes enormous) physical
inaccuracies, while being sensitive to others. By adjusting our simulations to
be careful about those aspects to which the human visual system is sensitive,
we are for the first time able to demonstrate significant material changes on
the basis of a single photograph as input.

***Access Grid Information***

Anyone wishing to view a seminar via Access Grid should note the following.
Please check the Jabber room shortly before the start of the seminar to find
out whether IGPix or ScreenStreamer is to be used.

Virtual venue: University of Manchester (1.10)

Jabber room:
university-of-manchester-(1.10)(sam.ag.manchester.ac.uk)@conference.mcs.anl.gov

IGPix: roberts.agsc.man.ac.uk/igpix/uom110

ScreenStreamer:

Preferably use ScreenStreamer software - go to
memetic-vre.net/software/ScreenStreamer/ScreenStreamer.php, and select room
"University of Manchester (1.10)" from the AGSC section. Grab the screen feed
(by clicking on it) from the screenstreamer window and resize it - more info
can be found on memetic-vre.net/software/ScreenStreamer.

Alternatively, the screenshot (not animated) can be accessed at
http://192.150.184.66:7890 (this IP might change for some sessions - please
check Jabber).
For technical assistance regarding the Access Grid, please contact the Access
Grid Support Centre. Non-UK Access Grid nodes are advised to contact the Access
Grid Support Centre to check connectivity before the date of the seminar.

If possible, please let ben.green at manchester.ac.uk know in advance if your site
intends to join a seminar.

Further Information
Information on getting to the university, along with city and campus maps, can
be found here.

---

Best regards

Dr Lee Margetts