[AG-TECH] MC/ESNW Seminar

Lee Margetts Lee.Margetts at manchester.ac.uk
Wed Oct 11 15:06:29 CDT 2006

*** Apologies for Cross-posting***

"VOMS for GridPP and the NGS"

Dr Mike Jones, Dr Alessandra Forti and Dr Sergey Dolgobrodov, University of
Manchester

Friday, 13th October 2006, 1400-1500 (UTC+1)

Room 1.10, Kilburn Building

An overview of the Virtual Organisation Membership Service and how it is being
deployed for GridPP and the National Grid Service.

We describe our experience in practical deployment of the gLite VOMS (Virtual
Organisation Management Service). The formation of all sizes of groups with
similar research agenda can be viewed as the emergence of Virtual Organisations
(VOs). The deployment of centralised VOMS servers at a national level as part
of a grid infrastructure facilitates the creation of these groups and their
subsequent registration to the existing grid infrastructures. It also helps
grid resources to engage user communities by dealing with them in a more
scalable way.

In this seminar we will lead in with an introduction to current authentication
and authorisation methods in use within existing grids and being developed for
grids. Continuing on through the emergence of relevant technologies, which try
to embrace the concept of virtual organisations, we will arrive at the VOMS.

We will describe our use cases, some of the technical aspects, and our
experiences of deployment and administration of such a VOMS. We aim to
highlight the impact, both the benefits and the costs, of adopting these
services.

*** Access Grid Information ***

Anyone wishing to view a seminar via Access Grid should note the following.
Please check the Jabber room shortly before the start of the seminar to find
out whether IGPix or ScreenStreamer is to be used.

Virtual venue: University of Manchester (1.10)

Jabber room:
university-of-manchester-(1.10)(sam.ag.manchester.ac.uk)@conference.mcs.anl.gov

IGPix: roberts.agsc.man.ac.uk/igpix/uom110

ScreenStreamer:

Preferably use ScreenStreamer software - go to
memetic-vre.net/software/ScreenStreamer/ScreenStreamer.php, and select room
"University of Manchester (1.10)" from the AGSC section. Grab the screen feed
(by clicking on it) from the screenstreamer window and resize it - more info
can be found on memetic-vre.net/software/ScreenStreamer.
Alternatively, the screenshot (not animated) can be accessed at
http://192.150.184.66:7890 (this IP might change for some sessions - please
check Jabber).
For technical assistance regarding the Access Grid, please contact the Access
Grid Support Centre. Non-UK Access Grid nodes are advised to contact
support at agsc.ja.net to check connectivity before the date of the seminar.

If possible, please let ben.green at manchester.ac.uk know in advance if your site
intends to join a seminar.

Best regards