[AG-TECH] query re: delay

John I Quebedeaux Jr johnq at lsu.edu
Sun Oct 1 18:48:11 CDT 2006

Alan,

The ISP could be employing some type of packet shaping that is
queuing your various data streams. At least, i've had this happen at
my university in the past and it manifested itself with my outgoing
video and audio streams arriving at various times (generally intact,
but sometimes slowed down or sped up as things caught up after being
queued). My first stream had priority, but the rest did not.

You can see the ports associated with the audio and video when you
pull down the properties command under... i think it's under the file
menu on the venue client. That may help if you can then look at the
traffic associated with that port/ip.

I'm also assuming you were bridging (unicast) as well. In general,
the audio and video seem to be in sync simply due to network speeds
and bandwidth on I2/etc. I believe. Also, your uplink bandwidth on
your DSL is probably much lower than your downlink bandwidth causing
some congestion on your outgoing. Were you exceeding your available
bandwidth? Which way were you seeing the delays? Changing the
location "room" wouldn't change anything except the ports you're
sending/receiving on so I'd actually be surprised if it changed then.
If you changed venue servers (went to NCSA instead) and saw a
difference (like it went away) then that would be interesting to
note.  If i use my ADSL connection I have to VPN to my campus first
out of my ADSL in order to get the ports i need in/out and through
the nat'ing etc. And then a session could easily blow away my
available (even my 6Mb downlink) bandwidth on the incoming not to
mention there is no QoS if i'm not VPN'd.

Just some thoughts from what little i know... John Q.
--
John I. Quebedeaux, Jr.; Louisiana State University
Computer Manager LBRN; 131 Life Sciences Bldg.