[AG-TECH] Avoiding problems - Multicast groups and also unicast bridges

Andrew A Rowley Andrew.Rowley at manchester.ac.uk
Mon Nov 20 08:58:15 CST 2006

Hi,

In relation to the original question, the only way to ensure that you don't pick the same multicast addresses as another venue server is to use a different multicast range.  We use static addressing, using various multicast GLOP spaces we have access to, and some IANA assigned addresses.

There is a way to run a bridge behind a firewall without causing any delays, but note that this will require the client to be configured as well.  What you can do is run your own bridge registry as follows:

1) Create a text file that contains the IP address and port of the registry peer.  Put this text file on a web server so that it can be accessed by venue clients.  This web server is your bridge registry.

2) Locate the file RegistryPeer.py on your computer.  This is not usually in your AG bin directory, but is usually in your Python installation directory in site-packages/AccessGrid/Registry/RegistryPeer.py.

3) Windows Only: Add the following lines to the file before the line that reads "from AccessGrid.AGXMLRPCServer import AsyncAGXMLRPCServer"
    import agversion
    agversion.select(3)

4) Run:
       RegistryPeer.py -u <your-registry-url>
   where <your-registry-url> is the url set up in step 1.

5) Run your bridge(s) with the same -u option as above

6) Edit the AG client preferences file
(Windows: c:\documents and settings\<username>\Application Data\AccessGrid3\Config\preferences;
Linux: <home-dir>\.AccessGrid3\Config\preferences)
and change the line starting:
    bridgeServer = http://www.accessgrid.org/registry/peers.txt
to point to your registry url set up in step 1.

Now when you start the venue client, you should be using only your own bridge registry.

Andrew :)

Access Grid Support Centre,
RSS Group,
Manchester Computing,