[AG-TECH] Avoiding problems - Multicast groups and also unicast bridges

Joseph Stone stone004 at umn.edu
Wed Nov 15 13:54:31 CST 2006

As a last step in getting a FC5 AGTK 3.0 Venue Server up, I have two
questions that deal with avoiding problems

1) How do people pick multicast addresses and ports such that they
don't use what someone else is using already?  It looks like the tool
will dynamically pick addresses / ports or give an option to pick
static ones, something I think we prefer to do.  Is this a good thing
to do?

2) I want my unicast bridge to be used only by people who VPN into my
server (I think).  If it is behind a firewall, I know that I'll
contribute to the long delays AGTK 3.0 Client users will experience.
Can I tell the bridge to not let anyone know that it exists (except
those joining my venue, of course)?

Sorry if this has been answered in FAQs or mailing list, I've tried
to find this information for sometime.  If it is there, point me
towards it.  I'll develop better search techniques based on the pointer.

Joe

Joseph Stone
Senior Informatics Manager
Family Medicine Community Health, Medical School, Univ. of Minnesota
Suite 220 Dinnaken
925 Delaware St. SE
Minneapolis, MN 55414

(612) 624-3192