[AG-TECH] VIC, RAT and QuickBridge

S.Booth spb at epcc.ed.ac.uk
Tue May 30 03:39:47 CDT 2006

On Mon, 29 May 2006, Fabrizio.Berdondini at prototipo.it wrote:

> Hello all,
> I found a quite old manual of the QuickBridge for AG2.0, stating that it
> is possible, once the bridge has been launched on a machine,
> sending/receiving audio/video connecting to the bridge via VIC/RAT
> (without AG client) with the following commands:
>
> VIC <QuickBridge hostname>/<port>
> RAT <QuickBridge hostname>/<port>
>
> I tried to launch VIC and RAT  this way on my notebook, using the IP of
> our bridge machine and the multicast|unicast port assigned by it to a
> specific bridged venue, but I wasn't able to connect my audio/video.
> Is this procedure still available on the current version of QuickBridge,
> or is there something wrong in the way i'm connecting the mbone tools to
> it?

Quickbridge uses a different pair or ports for multicast and unicast
traffic. If a packet comes in on the multicast port it forwards it to all
currently connected unicast peers,
if a packet comes in via the unicast port it checks the send address of
the packet and adds that address to the list of current peers if necessary
then forwards the packet to the multicast group and any other connected
unicast peers.

If you send unicast to the multicast port then your packets will be
forwarded to other unicast peers but you won't get added to the peer list
or get forwarded to multicast clients.

You need to find the unicast port numbers used by the bridge somehow
e.g. by getting somebody else to switch their node to unicast and read
off the ports.

 					Stephen