[AG-TECH] Hardware concern ...

Jason Bell j.bell at cqu.edu.au
Mon May 22 01:19:37 CDT 2006

G'day Nathan

The question you pose, can a single machine run an entire AG, is an
interesting one, which there is no right answer.  As it depends on many
variables and how you wish to use the Access Grid.  (I will only talk
about the AG stuff, as I have never used INSORS)

I personally use a single machine for some of my AG nodes, as well as I
also use multi-machine nodes as well.

For the current use of Access Grids, I would say that a powerful machine
(Insert any brand here) should be able to handle most AG situations.
Though, a consideration you will have to think of is how a single
machine will handle future AG improvements.  For example, if a "new"
media tool for the AG uses H264 as a codec, then this will require
significant computing resources to "encode" the video streams and having
multiple video captures may reduce the performance of a single machine
greatly.  Of course there is also DV and HDTV to also consider.

One of the great things about the Access Grid is that it is so flexible,
such that you could just try running it on a single machine!!!  If you
find that it isn't powerful enough, just add another computer to the AG
Node.  This new computer could possibly perform the capturing of video,
thereby reducing the load of the single machine.

This is just my 2 cents worth, but hopefully you find it useful.

Cheers,
Jason.