[AG-TECH] microphone issues with my PIG node

Johnny Ly jly at melcoe.mq.edu.au
Thu Jun 22 01:30:33 CDT 2006

Hi,

I have an interesting problem with one of the PIG nodes.

It is a Toshiba Tecra S1 laptop running AGTk 2.4 (build 1). Our network can
only support Unicast, so we always use a bridge.

The problem is that nobody can hear me when I talk (talk checkbox is
checked). I can hear everyone, see everyone and everyone can see me, but
nobody can hear me on this machine.

Now I thought it would be a problem with the laptop's sound card, I had
checked the properties to ensure that all the default sound devices were set
to the Logitech USB headset. I also tested it with a normal headset with
minijack connections, and tried it. It too had the same problem and that is
people were not hearing me.

Additionally, in the audio properties of the RAT, I had checked that the
audio device was the headset and not the SoundMax sound card. When talking,
I could see the volume bar flickering up and down according to the volume of
my voice, so something is working.

To ensure that the headset was working, I tested it a CD where I could hear
the audio. I tested the microphone using Window's Sound Recorder app, and it
worked fine. I was able to record a small WAV file.

Are there any other possibilities that could be causing this problem?

Thank you all.

Kind regards,

Johnny Ly

Systems Officer

Macquarie E-Learning Centre Of Excellence (MELCOE)

Building E6A, Room 248

Macquarie University NSW 2109

Australia

e: jly at melcoe.mq.edu.au