[AG-TECH] Computational requirements for the future

John Hodrien johnh at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Wed Jun 14 06:56:33 CDT 2006

On Wed, 14 Jun 2006, Claus Endres wrote:

> This is with Fedora Core 5 i386, which has problems with the nvidia
> driver and has to use the X.org nv one. Under FC5 x86_64, the nvidia
> driver works, and improves performance by about 5% per decode stream.

Out of interest what's the problem you have with the nvidia driver?

> H.264 has prohibitively high compute requirements, which prevent it
> from being used at frame rates above around 5 fps (40 % CPU per
> encoder). We use it for personal nodes at low bandwidth for
> document cameras at 1 fps, and it works brilliantly for that.
> Decode CPU requirements are about the same as for MPEG4.

I couldn't believe the cost of encoding H264.  Pretty high indeed.

> HDTV is not worth it as you cannot find a projector bright enough
> for video conferencing in a non-darkened room for under around
> $AU 400,000.

Surely something that plays 720p60 is cheap is chips though, you don't need to
go all the way up to 1080p.

jh

--
"Nostaligia's not what it used to be."               -- Anon.