[AG-TECH] A Newbie Question

John Hodrien johnh at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Tue Jun 6 07:20:54 CDT 2006

On Mon, 5 Jun 2006, Shaila Parashar wrote:

> We are in the process of installing an access grid. We are in the process of
> deciding what operating system would be ideal for the various machines. Some
> members of our team would prefer having windows on all machines. Is there an
> advantage of one operating system over the other for a specific operation
> (video, audio , display or control).  Our choice of hardware will depend on
> the operating system we choose.
>
> Any suggestion/ideas/horror stories/pleasant experiences about either linux
> or windows for the access grid would be greatly appreciated.

It's a mixed bag.  Driver support for cheap capture cards is strangely much
better under linux than under windows, where many cards refuse to work with
more than one in a machine under windows but work fine under linux.  The
better cards (with multiple inputs) seem to be supported better under windows
than linux.

Don't feel pressured to buy more machines than you need.  We run with one
linux machine that runs all of the required AccessGrid software, and a windows
XP machine for people to use for any other applications (IGPix, and other
windows applications they want to share).

jh

--
"Dare to be naive."                                  -- R Buckminster Fuller