[AG-TECH]too much Bitrate in RAT

Colin Perkins csp at csperkins.org
Fri Jul 21 05:04:08 CDT 2006

On 21 Jul 2006, at 09:52, John Hodrien wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Jul 2006, Colin Perkins wrote:
>> The way rat works, you always get that delay, no matter what codec
>> is selected.
>
> Oh.  The optimist in me has gone under his rock.

Rat has a number of settings which change the trade-off between delay
and quality, if you want to experiment:

1) In the Transmission category of preferences, the "Units" parameter
determines how many codec frames are included in each packet. Setting
this to a small values lowers the delay and increases loss
resilience, at the expense of slightly more bandwidth overhead due to
the extra RTP headers.

2) In the Transmission category of preferences, enabling redundancy
increases resilience to loss, at the expense of increased delay. The
"Offset in Pkts" field determines how many extra packets worth of
delay is added when enabled.

3) In the Reception category of preferences, you can use the "Limit
Playout Delay" option to disable the adaptive jitter buffer, and
manually increase or decrease the playout delay. Use of this is
usually sub-optimal, since the adaptive buffer works well, but you
might be able to reduce the latency at the expense of reduced quality
(enforcing a maximum delay may cause late packets to be discarded,
instead of played).

4) In the Audio category, increasing the sample rate will reduce the
delay and increase the quality, at the expense of significant extra
bandwidth.

5) In the Audio category, enabling "Silence Suppression" (either
using the automatic setting, or with appropriate manual tuning) will
reduce the delay compared to Off. This is usually the most
significant factor in the delay: if you turn silence suppression off,
delay can build up uncontrollably, since rat has no way to compensate
for clock skew between sender and receiver sound cards.

You can get statistics on the actual playout delay and network round-
trip time from the window which opens when you click on a
participant's name.

Colin