[AG-TECH] Access Grid 3.0 beta1 available !

Steve Smith ssmith at vislab.usyd.edu.au
Tue Jan 31 23:09:27 CST 2006

On Tue, 2006-01-31 at 22:52 -0600, Thomas D. Uram wrote:
> I'd be very happy to replace it with something standard.  Whatever it is,
> it'd need to encompass the following:
>
> - python module installation
> - executable scripts in standard platform-specific locations
> - platform-specific installer creation
> - others I'm not thinking of at the moment...
>
> What do you suggest?

Two things spring to mind: Distutils (aka setup.py) and scons ...

Scons is basically 'make' in Python but can be used for non-python
projects (Blender uses it for instance).  I supports hierarchical builds
and a separate build configuration file.

Distutils is the standard python-specific build/packaging system.  It
can be used with py2exe and InnoSetup (or other installers) to create a
packaged windows system.

Cheers,
Steve