[AG-TECH] AG3 beta issues on WinXP x64

Jon Johansson jon.johansson at ualberta.ca
Wed Feb 8 17:15:36 CST 2006

I installed AG3 on my x64 WinXP machine.

When I try to start a venueserver of a VenueClient I get:

C:\Program Files (x86)\AGTk-3\bin>VenueServer.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\AGTk-3\bin\VenueServer.py", line 29, in ?
    from AccessGrid.Toolkit import Service
ImportError: No module named AccessGrid.Toolkit

C:\Program Files (x86)\AGTk-3\bin>VenueClient.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\AGTk-3\bin\VenueClient.py", line 26, in ?
    from AccessGrid.Toolkit import WXGUIApplication
ImportError: No module named AccessGrid.Toolkit

I set the PYTHONPATH environment variable and then things started working

   PYTHONPATH=C:\Python23\Lib\site-packages\AccessGrid3

I can run a client and connect to

   https://vv3.mcs.anl.gov:8000/Venues/default

the connection seems to happen quickly and then things slow down - it
takes 2-3 minutes to see any changes happen in the GUI when I try to
expand one of the Exits. Is this a time out because I'm missing something
in my pythonpath?

I started a venueserver on the same machine and it generated default .cfg
and
.dat files. I tried to connect to the server with the VenueClient but the
change
tok a long time to go from vv3 to my machine. I restarted the VenueClient
and
connected directly to my own venueserver and seemed to go fast - a few
seconds.
I tried to exit the VenueClient and it hung for a couple of minutes and I
eventually killed it. I had to kill ratui and rat processes by hand. There
were then several pythonw process running and a python so I decided to kill
the venueserver and start over. I restarted the venueserver

I then started the Venue Management Tool to try to add some venues - the gui
sat for several minutes not responding ... I went away to buy tea and came
back
... no connection - my Windows Firewall was off. There was a pythonw process

using 100% of one cpu, I have no idea what it might have been trying to do.
After the process used 20 min of cpu time I killed it.

I've attached the venueserver log files for:
   1) the connection of the VenueClient to the venueserver
   2) the attempt at connecting the Venue Management Tool to the venueserver

I could well be having trouble because this is a 64 bit OS, but if it's
just an obvious config error could someone let me know how to get the
Venue manager to connect?

Thanks,
Jon.

~~   Jon I Johansson, Ph.D.              * Tel.: (780) 492-9304    ~~
~~   jon.johansson at ualberta.ca           * Fax.: (780) 492-1729    ~~
~~                                       * Office: G.S.B. 323C     ~~
~~   Programmer/Analyst                                            ~~
~~                                                                 ~~
~~   Research Computing Support                                    ~~
~~   Room 352, General Services Building                           ~~
~~   Academic Information and Communication Technologies (AICT)    ~~
~~   University of Alberta                                         ~~
~~   Edmonton, Alberta, CANADA, T6G 2H1                            ~~
! "This  communication  is intended for the use of the recipient to !
! which  it  is  addressed, and may contain confidential, personal, !
! and/or  privileged  information.  Please  contact  us immediately !
! if you are not the  intended  recipient  of  this  communication. !
! If you are not the  intended  recipient  of  this  communication, !
! do  not  copy,  distribute,   or   take   action   on   it.   Any !
! communication  received  in  error,  or  subsequent reply, should !
! be deleted or destroyed."                                         !