[AG-TECH] Mobile AG advice?

Jason Bell j.bell at cqu.edu.au
Mon Dec 11 16:17:55 CST 2006

G'day Thad and all

I just thought I would quickly add my thoughts.

There are a number of types of portable systems.

*	Using some form of portable rack, with everything included;

*	Using a trolley (Which is what I use in same cases, see
http://hpc.cqu.edu.au/accessgrid.html#MACK for more info) using a single
machine, echo canceller, cameras and a Monitor/Projector or two.

*	Using a laptop, USB Camera and a headset and mic;

As you can see, there are a number of mobile AG solutions.  The purpose
will in the end, decide the "type" of system that you may use.

The biggest pitfall I would suggest is the problem of trying to use a
portable system that wasn't designed for a particular purpose.  An
example is using a laptop which was really only designed to be used for
a single person, to be used on a larger scale, swapping headphone,
etc...

Also, generally speaking, the audio quality isn't as good, as the
environment regularly changes, the echo canceller and audio levels need
to be set at a more general level, rather that present for a particular
purpose.

Anyway, I hope this information helps.

Cheers,
Jason.