[AG-TECH] Grid capabilities

Thomas D. Uram turam at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Aug 28 13:04:14 CDT 2006

Hi Natalia:

I can answer your questions about grid capabilities in the Access Grid.

AG2 was built on top of Globus, using it for creating proxy certificates
and for network connections between components.  In doing so, it was
laying the groundwork for grid computing wherever it was installed,
by giving users a certificate repository and an installation of Globus
and pyGlobus.

AG3 is built directly on SSL instead of Globus, but has the same
aims as AG2, of enabling grid computing in a collaborative
environment.  By continuing support for user certificates,
grid computing can be performed by installing suitable grid
software (whether C code, or Python, or Java).

In AG3, data transfer is performed using FTP over SSL.
Certificate manipulations are done using the M2Crypto
Python interface to OpenSSL.

I'm not aware of documentation around these issues, but I hope
to see the AG used more in this way, so eventually that will
change.

If I can be of any other help, please let me know.

Thanks,
Tom