[AG-TECH] IP Multicast address patterns??

Thomas D. Uram turam at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Sep 6 15:09:58 CDT 2005

Many:

See comments inline...

Many Ayromlou wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just had a discussion with some of our Network guys and they have
> asked me to see if there is a possible way to give them a list of IP
> multicast addresses that AG venueservers use. They are trying to  modify
> the rendevous point on our router based on Multicast addresse  ranges,
> since a lot of these new "Ghost" like applications use  multicast to
> mirror disks across networks with wrong ttl's and hard  coded IP
> addresses that are not in the admin range.
>
> Anyways.....my question for the Venueserver Gurus :-).....Is there a
> pattern to the way VV Servers allocate addresses??

By default, mcast addresses are allocated in the range 224.2.128.0/17, which you can see
in the MulticastAddressAllocator.py code.  The Argonne venue servers use these defaults.
You could query this range for a particular server using VenueServerIW.GetBaseAddress and
VenueServerIW.GetAddressMask, but you would need to be an admin on the server for the
calls to succeed.

.....I've noticed a
> lot of 224.x.x.x and 233.x.x.x and I've also seen the ncsa page that
> keeps track of some of them (https://agschedule.ncsa.uiuc.edu:443/
> venues.asp). Or better yet is there some way of querying the info  from
> the VV Server through some simple means?

You can query a venue programmatically for its multicast addresses using the
VenueIW.GetStreams method.  I put together a script that does this here:

http://www.mcs.anl.gov/~turam/AG/GetMcastAddresses.py

Given a venue address, it will print the mcast addresses assigned to the venue.  You could
use this tool to crawl for mcast addresses; let me know if you're interested, since there
are some authorization hurdles in the way of such crawling.

  I really don't want to