[AG-TECH] Loopback Multicast and linux

Piers O'Hanlon p.ohanlon at cs.ucl.ac.uk
Thu Oct 27 13:15:15 CDT 2005

Hi John,

> Relating this particularly to using VP, although it does apply to vic
> as well.
> Under linux vic doesn't loopback the multicast to the localhost, so in
> the VP
> window I can't see my own video.  I've done a simple 3 line hack to
> vic to
> make this work, but was wondering if anyone else had comments on what the
> default behaviour should be.
>
> Do people reckon this should be a commandline option to vic?

There are some many different things that one might want to control -
it's debatable if we want it a command line option.

You can tell vic to loopback its packets by creating a file in your home
dir called ".vic.tcl" and putting the following into it:

#!/bin/sh
#\
exec wish4.2 "$0" "$@"
#
proc user_hook {} {
global V
#
# allows reception loopback of packets
$V(session) loopback 1
#
# allows loopback of packets
$V(data-net) loopback 1
$V(ctrl-net) loopback 1
}

When you next start vic it will send packets out of the loopback
interface (and display two local video windows - u can get rid of the
second video window by commenting the "$V(session) loopback 1" line.

Piers.