[AG-TECH] AGTk on MacOS

Eric Olson eolson at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Oct 5 11:44:05 CDT 2005

Hi Charles,
You don't need to run the node setup wizard (runns.sh).  It is not
currently needed for anything (unless it somehow helps debugging).

 From the launcher (runag.sh):
- The only button really needed is Main->VenueClient
- You may first want to run Configuration->Node Setup Wizard, but don't
run it at the same time as the VenueClient.  Optionally, you can
accomplish the same things that the node setup wizard does by using node
management from the VenueClient menu: Preferences->Manage My Node...
- If you are using a multi-machine node, you can start a service manager
from Services->Service Manager.

I have seen other people run the node service recently, although it's
not needed (it would have been removed if we weren't trying to minimize
unnecessary changes for the 2.4 release) -- can you tell me if you found
this suggestion in the documentation somewhere, or if it's just not
clear in the user interface (very likely)?

The error you're getting is that there is no audio and video after you
connect.  I would suggest two things:
- Make sure you have audio and video services listed under
Preferences->Manage My Node.  To send video, you should remove the
VideoConsumer service and add the VideoService (which will "Produce" and
"Consume" video).
- Evaluate your network and firewall.  If you don't have multicast
networking. you'll need to use a bridge or the new AG Connector (still
being tested, but works very well).  To use a bridge, you'll need to
find a venue with bridges in it -- all venues in the Community Lobby are
bridged.  Selecting Preferences->"Use Unicast" is all you need to do.
If "Use Unicast" is greyed out, the current venue does not have a bridge.

Eric