[AG-TECH] ClearOne AccuMic PC Desktop Echo-Cancelling Microphone

Patrick Bristow pbristow at microsoft.com
Tue Nov 29 16:14:20 CST 2005

We've had great success using this with ConferenceXP.  The audio quality
is quite good, the AEC is great, and the AGC is excellent.  I don't know
how well the daisy-chaining works, though, so hopefully someone else can
jump in with that.

The output from the mic is a little high, though, so make sure you have
a good sound card that doesn't distort easily (anything other than
bottom-of-the-barrel is probably sufficient).

I heard that they've updated the firmware on these recently, and the new
ones work even better.

But just to keep things interesting, there's been a thread on the CXP
mailing lists about the new super-cheap contenders in this arena, and
there are apparently a number of them:

>>> "Chris Moffatt" <chrismof at microsoft.com> 11/09/05 9:16 AM >>>
If you are tired of using a headset for Conferencing, but don't want to
shell out $100's for an echo-cancelling mic...the miniVox MV100 is a
great little echo-cancelling mic that works great for desktop
conferencing.  (http://www.mvox.com/mv100.html). It is a USB device that
doesn't require any drivers - just plug and play (er talk). I have
tested it with ConferenceXP, and it works great, and have heard the same
from a number of other people.

>>> Jonathan Tregear [jtregear at salud.unm.edu] 11/26/05 12:47 AM >>>
The miniVox is the best deal at $20, but if Sharper Image stops selling
it at that price (it lists for $40) then the VoSKY Chatterbox at $30 is
better:
http://www.vosky.com/product.php?pid=8
It also has DSP enhanced full duplex (probably the same internals) and
also has Volume Up, Volume Down, and Microphone Mute keys, which the
miniVox doesn't have.

HTH,
-pb