[AG-TECH] Wireless Multicast in Access Grid?

Piers O'Hanlon p.ohanlon at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 11:22:13 CST 2005

Hi,

The rates that you'll get for multicast over the WLAN tends be heavily
dependent on the choice of AP and how it is configured for multicast
use - the default tends to be to transmit multicast at quite low
transmission rates. Additionally any 'power-saving' clients that
associate with that AP can also adversely affect the performance of
multicast see:
http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials/article.php/3433451
http://www.cwnp.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=4090&

So as suggested - it would be best to just do unicast over the
wireless. Take care to not put multicast onto the WLAN (using
firewalling or making sure ttl is set to 0 for client side
re-transmission) as the low transmission rate multicast can swamp the
WLAN network such that unicast traffic also suffers.

Piers.