[AG-TECH] New to AG: hardware question

Marco Pirovano marco.pirovano at unibocconi.it
Tue Nov 8 09:55:16 CST 2005

Scrive Jocelyn Nadeau <jocelyn at umce.ca>:

> Bonjour,
>
> We're new to AG and are working on setting up our first AG node. We are
> looking to buy this
> hardware to run AG.
>
> Dell Precision 670 workstations, 2G RAM, (2) 3.0Ghz xeon, (2) 160G SATA
> drives in Raid 1,
> nVidia Quadro FX 1400 128MB dual VGA, on-board Sound Blaster Audigy 2
>
> In the display machine, we are planning to use a Matrox G450 (quad DVI) +
> another to be
> determined Matrox (dual DVI).
>
> In the capture machine, we are planning to use either the IDS Falcon or
> Dorado quad capture
> card.
>
> Are we heading for problems or does this all seem to be good?
>
> TIA for your comments and feedback.
>
> Jocelyn

Jocelyn,

we are using 3 Dell Precision 670 workstations for our AG node.
The capture machine has a IVC-200G 4 input video caput card and works fine with
Fedora Core 3.
It is based on Brooktree bt878 chips which use the bttv kernel module under
Linux.
Try to look at:  http://www.ap-accessgrid.org/linux/ivc.html

Ciao,
Marco

* Marco Pirovano
* Universita' Bocconi, Area Sistemi Informatici e Telematici
* Piazza Sraffa 11 - 20136 Milano
* Tel. +39-025836.3173  Fax. +39-025836.3160